Monday, September 21, 2009

I have been studying all day for a professional certification test that is scheduled for later this week.  The certification is for a Certified Hazardous Materials Manager.  There is a lot of regulations that come into play when dealing with hazardous materials.  In addition to their specific language, each regulation has their own terminology for Hazmat.  For instance, here is what I mean.

Hazardous Materials (U.S. DOT)
Hazardous Chemicals (OSHA)
Hazardous Substances (CERCLA)
Hazardous Waste (U.S. EPA & DOT)
Extremely Hazardous Substances (U.S. EPA)

It would be much easier if everyone spoke the same language.  The chemicals have not changed, just the way each regulatory agency views its' interaction with chemicals. 

I am relatively new to blogging, so with time, my posts will include pictures and if I am really ambitious, some videos.
 
One last thought, before hitting the books.  Even though powerpoints as a training tool are a necessary evil, I like to provide my students and clients with hands on skills testing and problem solving.  If you have any thoughts or ideas in this area, please let me know.  I would love to learn about them. 

Thanks to ckempt for a blog mention.   His blog is on my blog roll, "life under the lights".  Check it out

Stay safe,

No comments:

OSHA QuickTakes - RSS Feed

Followers